The coverage of AusGeoRef includes journal articles, books, maps, reports and conference proceedings.
Documents in AusGeoRef are primarily related to geology. The following general categories are covered:
- Geochemistry (isotopes, hydrochemistry)
- Geochronology (includes radiometric and relative age determination)
- Petrology (includes igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary rocks)
- Paleontology (includes invertebrates, vertebrates, plants)
- Geologic Maps
- Geophysics (includes geophysical surveys, well-logging, seismology)
- Hydrogeology (includes ground water and hydrologic cycle)
- Environmental Science (includes soil and water pollution, reclamation)
- Economic Geology (includes metals, industrial minerals, petroleum, mining)
- Engineering Geology
Publications in AusGeoRef cover Australian geology back to 1840, the date at which GeoRef began covering Australia. Geoscience Australia began supplying references for AusGeoRef in 2003 and will continue to expand the database to include as many current Australian publications as possible.